Find Michigan DUI Lawyer | Lawyers and Judges Assistance Program
To state the obvious – the legal profession is a particularly stressful profession. Partially because of this lawyers and judges have rates of alcohol and drug and abuse that are almost double the general population. According to the Michigan Bar Association’s web site:
Some significant facts
- About 10% of the U.S. population has a drug or alcohol problem. For attorneys, it is as high as 18%.
- About 8% of the U.S. population suffers from depression. For attorneys, it is as high as 24%.
- According to a recent report of the ABA, studies indicate that more than 50 percent of all disciplinary cases involve impaired lawyers.
- The incidence of malpractice insurance claims is significantly higher among impaired attorneys.
- Lawyers suffering from alcoholism, drug addiction, or depression often deny that they have a problem.
Here is a video of Debra Jay, a leading expert in the field, discussing the problem of drug and alcohol abuse among lawyers:
This video was taken when she spoke on April 16, 2009 at “An Evening of Enlightenment,” which was sponsored by Brighton Hospital and the Lawyers and Judges Assistance Program. Mr. Barone and his office manager, Brian Corby were in attendance at this seminar.
If you’d like to contact the LJAP, here is their toll free number: